Friday, January 4, 2008

Hot Hot Jazz and Cool Cool Birthdays!











Tomato Kiss, Fiona Pears, Hot Club Sandwich. Sounds like food doesn't it? It's just the names of some of the Jazz groups we have been enjoying here in Nelson during the Jazz fest. Our weather has been spectacular, no rain on us since Wellington. We celebrated our birthdays with our chilly bin full of goodies and our blanket on the lawn of the park. The jazz acts were really great (Cheri and Farzan, you would love this!) Yesterday, while enjoying our second "park concert" the host of the JazzFest decided that all 3000+ people in attendance needed to sing happy birthday to us (the Canadian sitting next to us tipped him off). It was fun! Never had that experience before. To think that just a year ago on my birthday I was bald and had just received my last chemo is mind-boggling.




Thank you to all who have sent us birthday wishes. We read them all and are so happy to receive them long distance. We really are enjoying our 80 weather and the JazzFest has been more than we expected. Nelson is about 50K people and lots of Americans. Everyone is so friendly here, and we have met people from South Africa, Scotland, Holland, Canada and of course from NZ. Today at the farmer's market, I was cued up for the fresh strawberries and blueberries and the lady ask me if I was on holiday or relocating. I told her just holiday, but it would be nice to be here part of the year, she told me that alot of Americans relocate, I ask her what the attraction was besides the sunshine and she told me that within an hour and a half you could be sailing, snow skiing, hiking, or swimming. I think it sounded alot like one of the promotional brochures that I had written about Wenatchee for the CVB!!!!! We really have noticed the similarities. What a privilege to be able to travel and compare our little part of the world to others.




We leave Nelson on Tuesday and will make our way down to Christchurch. We are hoping that we will cross paths with niece Sarah while she is here in January. Our schedule (ha!) is looking a bit opposite of hers, but we will see if we can't meet somewhere on this beautiful island. Lisa Glenn, where are you?




We checked in with the parents via phone yesterday and will try to reach Adam and Donni when we have an opportunity today. Thanks for the email A&D, we are glad you had a fun holiday in the snow and can't wait to see the movies when we get home!




I'm going to hopefully post a couple pictures of our time here in Nelson. We have enjoyed spectacular sunsets from our balcony and have watched a variety of ships from Russia, Hong Kong and St. John come and go through the port.




Missing all of you, but enjoying our amazing journey so much.




Blessings!




Jon and Joyce

3 comments:

Suzanna Eversole said...

Joyce I'm enjoying following along with you on your travels so much! From my cubicle here in gloomy Seattle it's such a treat. Happy belated birthday to you both, safe travels and a big hug.

Suzanna

Milt and Jan said...

A very happy belated birthday to each of you. Love following your trip - thanks for the memories. Jon, we have 24" of snow at the farmhouse - absolutely beautiful - but I know you both are just where you want to be. Hugs all around.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your trip is turning out great. I swear we brought the rain with us when we went to NZ last month-if followed us everywhere we went. I love following along, and you'll love Christ Church-be sure to check out the Botanical Gardens :)