Friday, December 14, 2007

Does this humidity make my hair look big?

Can't believe I would ever worry about BIG hair, let alone hair, but it is really wild in this humidity! Having a wonderful time. I know I said there were pictures yesterday, but after I sent out the blog, we noticed that they didn't get posted. Today I can't send them as I am blogging from the visitor's center and they don't have any way of transfering my pictures from my camera and when I ask, everyone looks at me with a blank stare. So you will just have to imagine the bowls of latte's and the big hair. Jon and I took in the local farmer's market this morning, we purchased fresh apples, oranges, zucchini, bacon, cheese, potatoes and wine! All that before breakfast! So after breakfast, we decided to keep the buzz going with some more wine tastings, and are now taking a break from the wine and the warm inside. We have decided to stay another day in Gisborne as the weather is great and we are going to attend the Angelican church tomorrow and then tour the botanical gardens here. This afternoon we plan to walk along the beach and just enjoy the ocean. We went geocaching yesterday and you know what? We really suck at it, so gave up after tramping over hill and dale and underbrush and went for the wine and cheese platter at the local winery down the road. We are much better at wining! We are stockpiling a wonder smathering of wines. White is the speciality here and that suits me just fine. The wineries are small by our standards, and most cannot sell wine at the cellar, so have to go to the liquor store to find it. Always a middle-man. We filled up with gas today too, so spent $69.00NZ for about 10 gals of gas. We are paying 1.72/ltr. here! Outrageous, but the guy pumping gas today had actually been to Lake Stevens, WA ! Very small world. We will try geocaching later, maybe in Napier. Sorry no pictures.
We are finding it hard to believe Christmas is just a few short weeks away. Today, while we were in town, we heard Christmas music, but it is not the commercial circus that it is in the states. It's also not a big deal to decorate homes or shops with decorations. It's very secular here and so maybe tomorrow at the Angelican church we'll get a little dose of what this season is all about. We are so happy to have our Advent booklet from the church. We read from it everyday and it is helping us to remember the "reason for this season".
Gotta go, the beach is calling. Will blog again in a few days.
Jon and Joyce

2 comments:

Lynn said...

Hey Joyce and Jon

Glad you are having a wonderful time in Gisborne. Just a wee bit of excitement for you...most of the wineries here in Hawkes Bay region CAN sell from the cellar! You'll LOVE it! hehehe

See you soon...Lynn

Anonymous said...

I've been following your adventures on Google Earth. It looks like beautiful country.
Before Jon retired he'd come back to work to rest. It must be tough having to rest on your own time, Jon! Keep having fun.
-Jerry